The Kansas City Royals are impossible to hate

27K Shares

I’ve tried, really I have. As a Baltimore Orioles fan, the Kansas City Royals should be my mortal enemy. I should hate them, their lousy outfield waterfalls, their goofy lion mascot (never mind, Sluggerrr is actually quite awesome), and their overly passionate fan base that nearly committed one of the more egregious sins of all time by electing Omar Infante to the All-Star Game (although to be fair, I once cast votes for Luis Matos and Hector Luna).

Really, the Royals should make me think things like this as I watch them reel off another three victories against my beloved Birds:

the office other michael scott gif

But I can’t bring myself to do it. Deep down, I love the Kansas City Royals. Even after they tore my heart out like something out of an Indiana Jones movie last fall, I still found myself rooting for them to win the World Series. There’s just something special about the way this team plays the game of baseball, right down to their strategically-challenged leader Ned Yost.

As I watched nearly two decades of “rebuilding” in Baltimore, fans in Kansas City were right alongside me, sharing in the pain of watching failed pitching prospect after failed pitching prospect flounder. Our teams happily served as the pinata for the rest of the big boys to beat up on. We took a beating though, and now look where we are.

Most people viewed the Royals as a nice little one-year story last October after they cut through the American League side of the playoff bracket like a hot knife through butter. They were the hot team whose hitters who didn’t actually hit for power suddenly started hitting for power. The Detroit Tigers were supposed to rise back up again this year and put the scrappy upstarts from Missouri back in their place.

Well, that clearly hasn’t happened as the Royals now have the best record in the league, seven wins clear of both the Toronto Blue Jays and the Houston Astros. Once again, the Royals rank in the bottom-five in the league in home runs with just 101. They’ve struck out the fewest times — over 100 fewer than the next closest team, Oakland — and walked the least. It worked last year, and it’s still working because the Royals have a lineup one through nine that puts the ball in play with greater frequency than anyone else in the league. Generally speaking, that’s a recipe for success, as the league-wide batting average on balls in play rights itself around .300 every year. Sabermetrics aside, the best way to score runs is to hit the ball, especially with runners on base, and avoid strikeouts. I’m not sure when the rest of the league will wake up and realize a strikeout is not just another out to be given away, but the Royals certainly have connected the dots and realized that it is easier to score runs when you actually put bat on ball (on the flip side, we have the Orioles lineup that can score via the home run and only via the home run).

The Royals are a homegrown bunch of players who clearly thrive off each other’s presence. There is an air of excitement and passion that surrounds this team, and it is fun to watch them play ball together. Try as I might, it is impossible to hate players like Lorenzo Cain, Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer, and the ever-lovable Salvador Perez. I even delight in the hot-headedness of Yordano Ventura and Kelvin Herrera. Those two have their teammates’ backs, rest of the league be damned (it should be noted that unlike many other baseball fans, I do not have a problem with the occasional brawl. I believe they have their purpose and place in the game). As I drove home from work yesterday listening to the final Orioles’ defeat in the four-game series, I found myself enjoying the incredibly vanilla, Midwestern radio broadcast on the Royals’ network.

As it becomes more and more probable every day that Camden Yards will shut its lights off for the winter come October 4, there’s only one team I want to see hoist the World Series trophy, and it’s the team that kept the Orioles from having their own chance to lift that trophy a year ago. Putting aside my Orioles fandom and viewing the game as a fan of baseball, nothing would satisfy me more than to see a World Series trophy delivered to the baseball fans of Kansas City for the first time since 1985. I want that for them, even if it means Omar Infante gets even more All-Star votes next year.

To talk baseball with Josh, follow him on Twitter: @Josh Sadlock

27K Shares

92 Responses

1. baseballstu

Thanks for sharing this. It’s great that you can see past any rivalry there may be and just enjoy baseball and this group of guys for what they are. KC is blue-crazy right now. So much fun.

2. magnetik

sure until they bean one of your teams players and knock them out for half the season… then you see them doing the same thing to other teams and realize they do it to everyone.

• Michael Engel

High five, Jim. That was a good one.

• magnetik

nope not an A’s fan. Good guess though.

• CrashMe2

The Royals haven’t knock anyone out of half the season or any games for that matter. The same can’t be said of their opponents though.

• magnetik

George Springer out for the past 5 months.. just now returning. But I can understand the loss of memory since Royals got swept that series. drops mike.

• RBART33

Out for the past 5 months?!! So he’s been out since spring training?!! Plus, there was NO way that was on purpose!! The author of this article was referring to some dust-ups the Royals have had due to retaliating for beaned batters and hard slides not obviously errant pitches, that stuff happens just ask Alex Rios.

• CrashMe2

The Royals didn’t injure George Springer, but I can understand your selective memory since you’re a hater and jealous.

3. Adam

Magnetik, the royals have been hit by more pitches than any other team in baseball except for Pittsburgh. Also, only 8 teams have hit batters less than the Royals. Alex Rios got hit in the hand and missed over two months. The Royals aren’t doing anything wrong. Just good baseball.

• Susette Hamilton Nicholls

Exactly Adam. Magnetik….you might want to do a little homework before you open your mouth.

• Tyler Winningham

HBP is h urting althoigh riosis in field nit at the plate. What about moustakas being hurt, and then on leave twice for oersonal. It was like 3 weeks and Gordon 8 gosh.

4. George

The Royals pitchers havent hit a guy and injured him. They have had their starting SS taken out a few games with a overly hard slide, starting RF get a broken hand by being hit by a up and in pitch. The only Royal player started issues were by a young pitcher that got way too cocky with Trout and Eaton. And the White sox kept talking crap prior to that. Otherwise clean, winning baseball. Know the facts.

• Ted Logan

Don’t forget when Esky got hit in the head and missed a few games.

5. George

Nice article though. Thanks for the respect. LETS GO ROYALS!!!

6. Larry Huckleberry

Strategically challenged? Ned Yost? Pardon me, but didn’t we (Kansas city) just finish punishing the Orioles yet again? Why yes, yes we did and an apology from you to Ned Yost should be coming soon, thank you in advance.

• Kristin Banks

I think he was referring to the fact that Yost tends to make questionable calls, strategy wise, yet they just seem to work when, on any other team, they wouldn’t. A lot of people were questioning his strategy last fall

And how did that wind up for us.. . Making the WS

• toddp

Yost is a terrible strategist. If he were good we would have been in the playoffs 2 years ago. Things didnt turnaround until he changed his strategy last July and switch the batting order to something that made sense. You can’t give him credit for making a WS that he should have 2 years ago with the same talent.

• Tyler Winningham

The talent was still developing last year. Glass finally decided to invest more than 30 million a year to keep quality players. If he didnt Moose, Hosmer, Gordon, Cain, Perez, Dyson, and our entire bullpen would be gone and we would be a 60 win team again this year. Before last year I would go to home games and the’re would be maybe 15k people in the stands and half wearing the opposing teams apparel. Last year the Royals avoided trading their quality players for profit. The Royals made more money from the playoff and world series than all home games combined. I remember paying $10 for general admission tickets (I believe still only $20 or less.) So going from a $30 million to 90 million a year payroll (still 19th lowest in MlB) allowed Yost to develop players and keep them. With another AL title (for sure a WS win) The Royals will be able to keep the entire team together. None of them need to be traded if you look past Infante’ and Rios poor batting to their All-star fielding. One of them will be lost because of Zobe. So nobody is going to want to leave, we can afford to keep them but it will be 150+ million payroll to maintain the best overall Team in baseball. Also, I travel a lot and outside of KC I never see KC fans at away games aside from people on vacation and now I see thousands and thousands at ever away game as well. But yeah perez is only making 1.5 million as an example of how much we have to increase their salary considering he alone is more of a $10 million + player yearly. The only player lost was Butler and Morales was a terrific addition. (Butler never should have lost the 50 pounds). With the remaining schedule the Royals I predict the regular season record ending quite a few games higher. 2012 (72-90) 2013(86-76) 2014 (89-74)——- 2015 we are 79-49 and looks like the game right now we have in the bag so 80-49 with 33 games left and Hosmer about to return 100-62 statistically or going by how hot we are lately 105-57. I say World series against ST. Louis looks inevitable as long as St. Louis doesn’t choke and then 60/40 chance Royals honestly. Royals have game 7 advantage and St. Louis will hit a lot less home runs in KC with the large field size difference. Obviously they will hit more in St. Louis so their bullpen will have to catch the Royals in a slump which under pressure doesn’t seem likely. I guess you never know but KC and St. Louis are the most consistant teams and both coaches and players baseball IQ and heart are the best in baseball.

• Steve Green

I paid $5.50 for upper deck tickets to tomorrows (Tuesday) nights game to watch Gordon in his return. But i also paid $32 for the same tickets for Saturday’s game. Dynamic pricing sucks

• Tyler Winningham

Yeah but that doesn’t get GE at a ST Louis game.

• Jose

U r right steve, the price change really sucks but the best thing about our team and stadium is that its great from any level, saying so is because i have sat from top to borrón

• Bryan Madden

This is very true, the Royals ranked dead last in everything until May 29, 2014 that’s when they fired hitting coach Pedro Grifol and replaced him with former Cubs manager Dale Sveum who changed the batting order and that’s when the Royals did a 180* and the rest is history.

• Tyler Winningham

You right when. They we a more immature underdeveloped team. At the time we would get uhh well someone like greinke and sell him off for his pocket money. Look at all ll of 2008-2010, we were a farm tea. That yanks bought all our great players before deadline. Instead of our cap being at 3o mil lol. It was over tripled this year and if glaso is smart will keep everyone except Infante and rios

• Michael Young

You must really have a low baseball IQ to make a post like that. In 2013 you had a bunch of really young players still getting used to the MLB game. We had very few good VETERAN players in 13. In 14 those players hit their MLB stride and with the experience from the previous years playoff chase they knew how to react. Strategy doesn’t just count when it comes to hitting, though all the stats and pundits only pay attention to that. Knowing how and when to use your bullpen is pure strategy, and he excels at that. Our offense is never going to be what fans like you want it to be, and that is a factor of the ballpark we play in. The K, I like to still call it Royals Stadium, is not a power park. It is a pure pitchers ballpark, built for speed and defense…another of the Royals strengths that Yost capitalizes on.

Like Mr. Winninngham, I remember going to Royals Stadium when general admission was very cheap and I could choose from any of several thousand empty seats in right field. I was living in KC just 15 minutes from the stadium and would go to the games when I had nothing else to do. $5 for parking and $5 general admission ticket, take a couple of 20’s with me and I could have a nice relaxing evening watching a game that the Royals usually lost. That was 1992, the year George Brett retired. I got to meet him a couple of times because of how empty the stadium was. Since the second half of 2013 doing something like that is no longer possible. Thankfully David Glass has finally figured out that in order to win in the MLB you have actually open your wallet and keep your good players instead of trading them away….like Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye, and others that have flourished elsewhere. As far as Yost goes, I’m thankful that we had a manager with patience to let these guys develop the way he has. Pushing players only alienates them and pushes them out the door. These guys are like family to each other, and that’s what a team is supposed to be like….and it develops a winning culture when you keep them together.

7. james

yost has been doing things for the good of ALL the players on the team and the game at hand,,, you mean people are still questioning him after all the work he has done over the years, and leading them to the Series? sheesh

• Tyler Winningham

Exactly. Some people have to have something to complain or argue about. Like earlier when I said Royals full strength with Gordon that it was probably 60/40 Royals WS win. Can’t hit nearly the Homers at out park and regardless of a slight better era because a few pitches the Royals defence nullifies anything that doesn’t leave the yard. And then our bullpen getting tired? We could run a different A grade pitcher 7 games and use our 7,8,9 in 3. Hosmer back Rios out Zobrist to second and then you are looking at a 300+ batting average team and our RBI stat would just jump. No doubt in my mind they become a 5 run average team.

8. Steve

The best broadcast team in MLB…
    Hands down. I listen to Espn or other market teams and can’t stay awake. Vanilla
    ..you must be joking!

• RealityBass

The writer was listening to the radio, so at least he didn’t have to subject himself to the embarrassing blather of Rex Hudler.

• Doug Corkern

Rex is great, you just have to listen to him for a while.

• RealityBass

No, I have listened to him the entire time he’s been here. He does not grow on me.

• Andrew

He is far, far superior to TBS post-season.

• littlebear

Rex is just as unique and rememberable as every member of this Royals team…I wouldn’t want another announcer..go Royals,Rex, & Ryan!

• toddp

Rex is hands-down the worst color man in the game. His babble is meant for kids and/or newbies. He’s a nice man, but a joke in broadcasting. It’s very refreshing to get a break and hear another broadcasting crew – Kruk and Schilling add SO MUCH MORE knowledge and intelligence.

• Nikki May

As much as I disparage Rex’s commentary, when I listen to the other stations, I kinda miss it. He’s our lovable idiot.

9. judgeschmales

Hope you enjoy watching them as I do Mr. Sadlock because within 2 years or so the names will change from Hosmer, Moustakas, Perez, Gordon, Cain to Cuthbert, Mondesi, Starling, Bonifacio, and Vallot. Who knows though, they might still have Omar Infante. I bet the players union hopes that Dayton Moore can’t catch lightning in a bottle because I think it would seriously alter free agency.

10. Jason Louis

Thank you very much for the kind words, Josh. After such a long slump and seeing my team not just playing well, but really loving the game, I feel kinda fulfilled. I think they wouldn’t be as popular if they played baseball like it was a business, but the fact they really love what they’re doing and really love all the fans of baseball makes such a difference. I still remember pictures of the Royals players having fun with some Baltimore children before a game last year. They transform the sport into the game it was really meant to be and I thank you for giving props to them. That means a lot coming from someone who really loves his home team.

11. Andy R. Mullins

Nice little article. Thank you sir for your kind words.

12. [email protected]

True class Josh have been a fan of The Royals since the lawn chairs in the yards and the land of Sky blue waters! This is a true dream come true! Let’s Go Royals

13. timb99

Thanks. Nice article about my team. I have to cheer for them from 9000 miles away in Africa, but cheer I do!!

• Michael Young

I know the feeling, though I’m roughly 7500 miles closer in South Carolina. I grew up about 2 hours from what was Royals Stadium at the time, even lived in KC for a short time just 15 minutes south of Royals Stadium. That was a sad time, the year that George Brett finally decided to hang in up after 20 year with the same team that drafted him…a thing that just doesn’t happen anymore.

The writer is right on with most things, though a think he and the other talking heads are still just pissed that Ned Yost is the one doing. Stategically challenged, I don’t think so. He makes the occasional mistake, just like every manager. He and Dayton Moore are doing what any moderately intelligent manager and GM should do, playing to the strengths of his team and the characteristics of their home ballpark. Royals Stadium is not a power park, never has been, never will be. Any team that plays there is not going to be a power team, it’s built for speed and defense. That’s where the Royals wheelhouse is, and rightly so. Finally, we have a team built for the ballpark and a manger that knows how to use them.

14. macwild500

Great article. This is exactly why I’ve been a Royals fan my entire life. From the 70’s and 80’s and even the 90’s and part of the 2000’s when they were not necessarily the best team around. I’ve always stood by them.

15. Ray in KC

I have been a Royals fan since 1990. I have suffered and been at games where a dozen other people and I have watched the opposing team slap the Royals around like a pinata. I am a hard core, non-fair-weather fan. This is a very exciting time for us and for the fair-weathers. Thanks for the article. I also have to agree with your skepticism about Yost. He has been blessed with good players. He mismanages his bullpen all too often. He has cost Jeremy Guthrie at least two wins this season as a starter by leaving him in too long and not having the bullpen working at the time when he predictably starts losing control and running out of gas. He recently put Guthrie in the bullpen (which is fine), but it feels like a demotion blaming him for poor performance. Yost leaves starters in too long even though he knows their tendencies and waits WAY too long to move the bullpen. BTW, I was one of the Royals All-Star voters, but I never voted for Infante or Rios. I’m devoted but not blind.

• Richie rouyer

AMEN TO THAT-THE ROYALS WIN IN SPITE OF THAT MORON YOST A MONKEY COULD MANAGE BETTER THAT HIM

• cmi

It’s apparent that YOU don’t know anything about what it takes to manage a professional baseball team!!!

16. kcjewel

If you don’t love the Royals you don’t love baseball… they are the epitome! #ForeverRoyal

17. bob

I think that the major difference about the Royals is that they have FUN together on the ballfield. They work well together and really enjoy an enthusiastic comaraderie

18. warrior6

Old Royals fan here, from the beginning (1969). This is truly the best of times for KC fans. The 76 to 85 run was great, but this team is something special. No shame in being an Orioles fan, they’ve had a pretty illustrious history of their own. Thanks for the love.

19. Bob Kiersznowski

Josh, Nice read. Thank you. KC is a true baseball town – like Baltimore. When Miggy clinched the triple crown in October 2012 in KC, he got a standing ovation when introduced and a heros ovation when he was taken out in the fourth. That was 2012….before KC really put it together. A town with high baseball IQ and loves the game. Add in a team that leaves it on the field every night and has as much fun as anyone doing it and we are truly blessed right now. It takes a true baseball fan to recognize and write your article. Thank You.

• Grant

I was there the night Cabrera clinched the triple crown. When he left the game, the sound filling the stadium reminded me of Updike’s line about Ted William’s last at bat at Fenway: “Have you ever heard applause in a ballpark? Just applause-no calling, no whistling….”.

• Tyler Winningham

Yeah, it gets sao darn loud in there now. I wad so confused when I head the moose call for the first time. I was thinking “why are they booing him”

• Tyler Winningham

Yeah a “Town” of fans. I do t know why it makes me mad. Mayne because I went royals games since I was 12, always had jerseys, and all their cards. And then we will the AL and it’s like st. Louis fans out here. If you have never beeb to stl. It’s a sea of red on game day miles away fro. The statium.I’m just annoyed be says the should have been mad at Glass not our players but yeah 67 wins being our most back to like 53 in 2000

• Tyler Winningham

Ohh, no they are obsessed with the Royals now. I suppose I may be one of those people where I don’t think you watch it or go to a game how be a fan if they won a title since 1985. However most of the people I see are 17-40 so under 30 years old and they went even around then. That why I went to two 3 playoff and 2 ws games. But no I 2qdnt saying they weren’t loyal may just a little to fit it lol idk

20. cmi

It’s amazing to turn the game on & hear the fans chanting,…..”let’s go royals”,…….& realize they’re in another team’s home stadium,…NOT in their own!!! Yes, I’d say the Royals are really loved, all over America!!

21. John Kottman

Thank you. I went to the game the other night where the Orioles scored every run off homeruns, and won. Hardly anyone left the stadium till the final out. It was still a great time. Even after the game was tied up and they fell behind later, you could tell the players were having fun.

22. Andrew

Love the article! Regarding commentary, remember the truly awful TBS post-season announcing? Please, let them hire Rex. It would be a huge upgrade.

23. Allie Bradshaw

Thank you for the great article. Being a Royals fan, it’s so nice to have our boys in blue acknowledged so glowingly. You’re right, they’re a bunch of good hearted, hard playing young men, and it’s a joy to watch them. As for Salvy, he’s my favorite, he’s always got that great smile on him. Thanks again, Joshua Sadlock!!

24. Victor M Garcia

It is a breath of fresh air to read an article about the KC Royals from the point of view of a fan from another team. That you ARE a true fan of the game makes what you wrote that much more significant and legitimate. Thank you, Joshua!

25. Tony Avery

Nice read, thanks for giving credit where credit is due. It takes a big person to see through the rivalry and appreciate the game for what it is. The Royals have made baseball fun for their fans by playing the game like it is meant to be played. In some ways they remind me of the teams in Cincinnati in the mid 70’s, great chemistry and players that respect and enjoy one another as people and players.
    Thanks again for the great read, such a breath of fresh air.

26. Tyler Winningham

• judgeschmales

I wouldn’t be quite so sure of the Royals winning the AL this year. I think they are still the favorite, but they have not done very well (especially on the road) against teams with good rotations like Toronto and the Yankees. In order to for the Royals to win they need to get out to a lead, and though I am encourage by Ventura’s pitching of late, they sorely need Cueto and Volquez to pitch better than they have the last few weeks in order to win.

• Tyler Winningham

Ventura has been pitching a great deal better. Volquez pitches really well but out of no where throws a hanger high right over the middle (hr). If Cueto slumps and even if he doesnt Melendez is back. I mean Then chris young is back. We just got Cueto cheap and he has all star portntial.

• judgeschmales

Do you mean Medlen instead of Melendez? That’s cool, I don’t get all the names right either. The thing about the playoffs is that you don’t use a 5-man rotation. Medlen, Young, Duffy, and Guthrie would be situational starters based on which one give you the most advantage with the opponent at hand. The other 3 must be sharp because they would have to pitch against in the case of Toronto they would be facing Price, Buehrle, and Dickey with the spot starter being Hutchinson. We would have all kinds of trouble getting out to lead without excellent starters and those are, when on, the best the Royals have.

• Tyler Winningham

Well the thing is that Toronto has had a very easy schedule lately playest last place teams Although, they have beat a few first as well. Yeah any of the Royals flyback pitchers will seal the deal if they are on point

• judgeschmales

Yes they have played PHI SEA OAK and DET but they also played KC CAL TEX MIN NYY since the All-Star break which are all playoff contenders. They are much like the Royals of last year in that they are the hottest team in BB since break (and certainly since the trade deadline), but that doesn’t always translate to playoff success, although I am glad it did last year.

• Tyler Winningham

I cannot argue that one bit. Finished last month tied with best month along with royals I believe. But okay I change my mind. They do remind me of 14 royals. That would be pretty sweet to see them win if KC DOESNT. But can’t say my boys won’t go in on fire again but if the go I could live with losing to toeonto… but they better win it all lol

• Tyler Winningham

Well actually doing same as St louis

• judgeschmales

The reason they won’t win 100 this year is because they are 14 games ahead in their division and 8 games ahead of anyone else in the AL. The last two weeks you will see starters rested by using September call-ups. They will end with 97-98 wins and still have the best record in the AL by 4-5 games.

• Tyler Winningham

Sorry that one confused me. Minnesota?

• judgeschmales

Minnesota? I didn’t mention them. Could you be saying that because they are the Royals last series in the regular season and could still be playing for a wild card, that the Royals won’t put in the minor league prospects?

• Tyler Winningham

Well I am just assuming 19 since we actually have a really easy September but yes you are correct that if they stay hot enough the would get into the wild card I apologize I misunderstood

• Tyler Winningham

Doubt a wild card spot lol. Worst case they go to wild card again. There are what 33 games left. We lead by 14 game…. your saying we are going to lose basically all month to Detroit and white Sox lol? I can see us only hitting 95 but if you put the remainder of the games together and the teams we are playing.. statistics say we should win at least 75 percent of remainders which is exactly 100. I have them beating Chicago more like 90% and just gave Houston their game and min. 40%. I’ll be regardless but if they win the American League this year and you look at St. Louis outside they have terrible road stats

• judgeschmales

No I meant that Minnesota might still have a chance to get a wildcard, so the Royals would not rest their starters that last series to make it fair for the other teams that still have a chance at a wildcard… I guess you answered my question because that wasn’t what you meant.

• Tyler Winningham

You forget how many starters the Royals have Lil we played the playoffs last year without pitchers and several defensive players. One

• Tyler Winningham

I was thinking that too but it CWS DET MIN RAYS. Royals generally 18 win months this year so ya. But not to be rude Toronto kinda got the Royals September schedule in August. They went 18-8..?

27. mnguy

I live in the KC metro. I can’t stand the Royals. I’m always happy for a Royals loss! Yost’s method of managing might be producing some results, but it will not pan out for long, especially in the pitching realm.

• Tyler Winningham

And you have never said shouted that after a loss at Westport, PNL, The Royals Stadium, and bar that has a TV. You either put your head in a pillow and say that or everyone screaming the moose call while you get smacked harder than Escobar.

28. Tuaca Tom

Thanks Josh. As I struggle to become a Diamondback fan in my new home in Arizona, I am ever so happy for the Royals from my old neighborhood in Kansas City. They are so fun to watch and have renewed my excitement for the game. I never liked baseball until I moved to Kansas City in the 70’s and saw how aggressive Hal McRae and George Bret played, full of passion, vim and vigor. The past couple years, the Royals have reinstilled that feeling. Go Royals!!

29. Tyler Winningham

Yeah haha, there are many of hater Kansas City fans for no reason. We were in a few brawls 1 was our fault yeah Ventura needs to grow up a little more I’m sure he is just right now 23. 22 in the WS last year. So yeah if a pitcher hits your team mate in the ear (ended up broken jaw). I’m Royals all the way buyt can see since espn made quite a bit up

30. Gary Owens

Thanks, Josh. As a Royals fan, I appreciate the kind conclusions that you’ve drawn from this season’s events. I particularly like the “[m]ost people viewed the Royals as a nice little one-year story” observation – it’s certainly how things seemed around here earlier in the season, and the resentment that this kind of dismissiveness engenders no doubt helped fuel the Omar Infante madness that temporarily gripped us. Naturally, baseball economics will eventually reel us in, but the Royals are a lot of fun to watch for at least the immediate future. My best to your Orioles.