Earlier today, the Kansas City Royals announced that they have signed free-agent left-hander Mike Minor to a two-year deal worth at least $7.25 million.

The deal will pay the 28-year-old $2 million in 2016, and $4 million for the 2017 campaign. This contract also includes a mutual option for 2018 valued at $10 million with a $1.25 million mutual buyout if both sides decide to part ways.

After injuring his shoulder last spring and undergoing surgery that required him to miss the entire 2015 season, Minor will start the season on the disabled list. The Royals are optimistic that he can get healthy in time to make an impact in some capacity during a potential second-half playoff run.

This deal includes a handful of incentives tied to Minor’s performance. According to MLB Trade Rumors, Minor has the chance to earn $175,000 in roster bonuses if he reaches 30, 60, 90, and 120 days of service over the course of the upcoming season.

Minor can also collect an additional $165,000 after he makes his 11th through 20th starts respectively. The former Vanderbilt Commodore can also add another $165,000 for every five innings between 75 and 120 innings.

The Royals signed Kris Medlen, another former Atlanta Braves pitcher rebounding from an injury, to a similar deal last season, and he contributed a 4.01 ERA and 58.1 innings.

This is a great low-risk, high-reward signing for general manager Dayton Moore. The Royals commit to a little more than $7 million up front to sign Minor, and could see him build back up into a durable mid-rotation arm. The left-hander pitched to a 3.97 ERA over 612.0 innings from 2011 to 2014. With a still-murky rotation, the Royals may benefit from taking a flier on another former Braves up-and-comer.

About The Author

Joe Jacquez

Joe Jacquez is a sophomore at Mesa Community College covering the Arizona Diamondbacks and Major League Baseball. He plans to attend the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University in the Fall majoring in journalism. He writes sports, news, and feature stories for the Mesa Legend, the student-run newspaper at MCC. Joe is also a member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association of America (IBWAA). Follow him on twitter @joejacquezaz