With Major League Baseball preparing to hand down the first punishments under the league’s new domestic violence policy, which was agreed upon by the league and the MLB Players Association last August, there was speculation that suspensions could include spring training games.

Yesterday, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reported that this was nothing more than a rumor — spring games will not be a part of any domestic violence suspension.

All penalties will consist of regular season games, which is how suspensions work under the league’s drug policy. Unlike the drug policy, decisions regarding domestic violence incidents are to be made exclusively by Commissioner Rob Manfred.

The commissioner’s office is investigating incidents involving New York Yankees reliever Aroldis Chapman, Colorado Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes, and Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig, and in a recent interview with the Harvard Law Today, Manfred said he hopes to rule on the cases by Opening Day.

The Dodgers had agreed to a trade in December for Chapman, but after the domestic violence allegations surfaced, the Dodgers backed out and the Cincinnati Reds made a deal with the Yankees instead.

Chapman has already said that he would appeal any suspension, and yesterday the Rockies put Reyes on paid leave until a ruling is reached.

About The Author

Joe Jacquez

Joe Jacquez is a sophomore at Mesa Community College covering the Arizona Diamondbacks and Major League Baseball. He plans to attend the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University in the Fall majoring in journalism. He writes sports, news, and feature stories for the Mesa Legend, the student-run newspaper at MCC. Joe is also a member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association of America (IBWAA). Follow him on twitter @joejacquezaz