The Toronto Blue Jays first baseman will be out until July 23rd after testing positive for dehydrochlormethyltestosterone, an anabolic steroid.

Members of the media were told the team was holding a players only meeting. We later found out it was an emotional Chris Colabello addressing his teammates, telling them the news.

According to Colabello, he was unaware of how the substance was found in his system. Often referred to as “Turinabol,” this is the third time this season a player in MLB has been caught using this specific PED.

Colabello has said he first heard the news March 13. His appeal process was ultimately denied as he was handed the suspension earlier today. He will also be unable to play for the Blue Jays in the postseason due to new rule changes.

Here is his full statement:

Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins also released a statement of his own, backing Colabello.

Manager John Gibbons had a few words to say.

The thirty-two-year-old was off to a rocky start this season, hitting just .069 with two hits in 29 at-bats. A far cry from what he was able to do last year, where he slashed a line of .321/.367/.520, and was an instrumental part of the postseason run. Colabello is a bit of a journeyman, finding a home with the Blue Jays after playing independent ball in the Can-Am League for six years. He moved on to play with the Minnesota Twins before being picked up by Toronto.

Drew Hutchison has now been called up for a spot start Sunday against the Oakland Athletics, pushing the rotation back one day. Toronto has also selected the contract of LHP Chad Girodo to take Colabello’s roster spot. Girodo is currently 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA in Triple-A Buffalo.

About The Author

Dustin Saracini

Graduated with a degree & diploma in Broadcast Journalism - Played with Western University at the OUA level - Currently a sports reporter for the News-Optimist in Saskatchewan. Love to talk Blue Jays, MLB, and anything fantasy! Reach out to me on Twitter @DustinSaracini

Related Posts

Leave a Reply