Here is a summary of Minnesota Twins news from the last week:
- Twins catcher Josmil Pinto suffered a concussion after being hit with three backswings during Saturday’s game against the Baltimore Orioles. “We’ll just see how he comes along, I talked to him this morning. He’s feeling OK, just not quite himself.” Manager Paul Molitor said according to the Pioneer Press. Pinto had a CT scan which came back negative, but is reporting a headache. He will be held out of action for a few days just to be sure he is ok.
- The Twins will use their five man rotation like normal, despite a large number of off days in the first two and a half weeks of the season, according to the Pioneer Press.
- Glen Perkins made his Grapefruit league debut on Saturday, going one inning with a strikeout and a home run. He reported no discomfort or pain this morning. He is next scheduled to pitch on Tuesday against Toronto.
- The Twins optioned pitcher Ryan Pressley to Triple-A Rochester before Saturday’s games, according to the Star Tribune. This spring, Pressley posted an 8.31 ERA in four Grapefruit League appearances. This shows that the bullpen situation is starting to clear up, and paves the way for Minnesota native Mark Hamburger to break camp with the big league club.
- On Friday, the Twins optioned Alex Meyer to the minor leagues. Meyer, who is ranked as the 30th-best prospect in baseball, posted a 1.59 ERA, but walked seven batters in 5 ⅔ innings while admitting that he is suffering from issues with his mechanics. This leaves three pitchers in the race for the fifth spot in the rotation: Tommy Milone, Trevor May, and Mike Pelfrey.
Here is the Twins schedule for the upcoming week:
- Sunday 3/22 @Marlins In Progress
- Monday 3/23 @Phillies 12:05 CT
- Tuesday 3/24 vs Blue Jays 12:05 CT
- Wednesday 3/25 vs Rays 12:05 CT
- Thursday 3/26 @ Red Sox 12:05 CT
- Friday 3/27 vs Pirates 12:05 CT
- Saturday 3/28 vs Phillies 12:05 CT