Here is a recap of the last week on news for the Minnesota Twins.
— Newly acquired pitcher Ervin Santana was suspended on Friday afternoon for a positive steroid test. He will forfeit approximately six million dollars as part of the unpaid suspension. He tested positive for Stanozolol, which first made it’s way onto the scene when Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson tested positive for it at the 1988 Olympics. In a statement, Santana said “I am disappointed that I can not pinpoint how the substance got into my body.”
Patrick Reusse of the Minneapolis Star Tribune called Santana a “lying fraud” in a column that ran in the Saturday Edition.
Santana is eligible to return around the Fourth of July, but will remain in Fort Myers until then working out with a private coach. He will be able to start pitching in minor league rehab games 10 days before his suspension ends.
— The Twins also announced their 25-man roster on Thursday night. Highlighting the roster was newly reacquired free agent outfielder Torii Hunter. Originally, Santana was on the roster, but his spot was taken by Aaron Thompson, a left-handed pitcher who will take Mike Pelfrey‘s bullpen role as Pelfrey moves into the starting rotation.
— On Thursday, the Twins announced that their home opener scheduled for next Monday is sold out.
— Earlier this week, longtime Twins minor league coach Riccardo Ingram passed away after a second battle with brain cancer. He had been with the Twins organization since 1998, primarily in the lower levels. In a statement, Twins GM Terry Ryan said “Riccardo was a great man who always had a smile on his face. He will be deeply missed.”