According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the San Francisco Giants have agreed to terms with free-agent pitcher Johnny Cueto. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says it is a six-year deal. Alex Pavlovic of CSN Bay Area is reporting there is an opt-out clause after two years, and Jon Morosi of FOX says the contract is worth $130 million.
Sources: Johnny Cueto has an agreement with the Giants, pending a physical.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 14, 2015
cueto has agreement with giants. 6-year deal.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 14, 2015
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 14, 2015
Giants have agreed to six year deal with Cueto. It includes an opt-out after two years.
— Alex Pavlovic (@AlexPavlovic) December 14, 2015
Cueto, 29, has a 3.30 ERA and 3.82 FIP in 1400 innings pitched with a 22.8 fWAR. After parts of eight seasons with the Cincinnati Reds he was shipped to the Kansas City Royals and helped them win their first World Series in thirty seasons. Cueto pitched a dominant two-hitter in his lone World Series start, but was very up-and-down during his time with the Royals.
The Giants came into the offseason with an obvious need for starting pitchers and they did it, but it cost a high price. They previously inked Jeff Samardzija to a five-year, $90 million deal and now Cueto for six years, $130 million. Earlier this offseason, Cueto turned down a six-year, $126 million offer from the Arizona Diamondbacks, leading many to wonder if he would wind up leaving money on the table.