Baseball Comes Back to Baltimore: 1954-1965
Long forgotten was the fact that the original Baltimore Orioles played for a few seasons in the early 20th century. After a large gap, in 1954 the St. Louis Browns left the shadows of a Cardinals-dominated city to Baltimore. Here they became the city’s star attraction.
The inaugural 1954 season offered a one-year run of plain button-down uniforms (a modern interpretation of the jersey). The front script consisted of “Orioles” in a black-with-orange-trim cursive font with added tail.
By 1955 the home uniforms adopted the familiar slightly tilted “Orioles” cursive script in orange with black outline. The road uniforms had the same design for only the 1955 year. A front uniform number was added in 1958. These tops had a black spoonhead. The left sleeve had the capped oriole head.