New York’s Highlanders: 1903-1917
The Yankees started off as the Highlanders, a team salvaged from Baltimore. The team did not change its moniker to the Yankees until 1913.
The first few seasons saw the Highlanders with a stylized “NY” across the chest in large letters. The home uniforms were in black and eventually navy letters. The road jersey was a navy jersey then went to a gray top with black letters.
The 1905 jerseys had the earliest interlocking “NY” chest logos. The “NY” logo we are more accustomed to was introduced as a sleeve logo in 1909. It would return to the chest in 1912. That jersey was in white, gray (the modern interpretation) and pinstripes.
The home jersey in 1916 went to a blank front white with dark pinstripes design.