Page 5 Answers:
- True-or-False: Madison Bumgarner became the first pitcher in MLB history to hit two home runs on Opening Day, as the Giants knocked off the Diamondbacks in early April. Answer: False. Bumgarner did hit two home runs on Opening Day, but a Mark Melancon blown save spoiled the party as the D-Backs won.
- For what High-A affiliate of the New York Mets did Tim Tebow, formerly a Heisman Trophy winner, play for in 2017? Answer: the St. Lucie Mets of the Florida State League.
- Name the three playoff teams that replaced their manager after the 2017 season ended. Answer: New York Yankees (Joe Girardi out, Aaron Boone in), Washington Nationals (Dusty Baker out, Dave Martinez in), and Boston Red Sox (John Farrell out, Alex Cora in).
- The Yankees and Cubs set an MLB record for most total strikeouts in a game, with 48. In what inning did that game end? Answer: the 18th inning.
- Name four out of the six players that had their numbers retired by their respective franchises in 2017. Answer: Derek Jeter (NYY), Frank Robinson (CLE), David Ortiz (BOS), Mark Buehrle (CHW), Edgar Martinez (SEA), Ivan Rodriguez (TEX).
- Which team became the first ever to hit a home run in each of the first seven innings of a game in September of 2017? Answer: the Twins hit a home run in each of the first seven innings in a 16-0 rout of the San Diego Padres.
- Zach Britton netted his 55th consecutive save attempt converted by closing out a win against the Astros on July 23rd. Is that an American League record? Answer: Yes.
- True-or-False: Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen each recorded their 200th career save in 2017. Answer: True.
- On June 3rd, MLB set a record for most grand slams in a single day, as seven different players knocked a grand slam. Name at least three of those seven that hit four-run home runs as part of a record day. Answer: Kyle Schwarber, Travis Shaw, Chris Taylor, Matt Adams, Ian Desmond, Albert Pujols, and Mike Zunino.
- 13 players in MLB history have compiled five extra base hits in a single game. Which player did so in 2017? Answer: Jose Ramirez hit three doubles and two home runs on September 4 against Detroit.
And there you have it. I hope it cured the craving for baseball we all have deep inside of us, and that you aren’t a baseball lummox or cretin. Report back the top page to see where you land in the rankings, and keep your eyes peeled to Baseball Essential as time goes by.